What is Keeping Watch?
Organized in 2013 by the UNC Charlotte College of Arts + Architecture and UNC Charlotte Urban Institute with Lambla artWORKS, KEEPING WATCH is a multi-year initiative designed to foster collaboration across disciplines and interest groups to engage the public in local environmental issues.
Through the work of artists, writers, environmental experts, and scientists, KEEPING WATCH has connected community partners and projects to raise awareness and inspire action around four concerns: plastic waste and recycling (2014), water quality and urban streams (2015), air quality and tree canopy (2016), and wildlife habitat in the urban ecosystem (2017).
About the institute:
The UNC Charlotte Urban Institute is a nonpartisan, applied research and community outreach center at UNC Charlotte, a 26,000-student campus of the University of North Carolina system. PlanCharlotte.org is an online publication of the institute, focusing on news and information about the environment, land use and urban issues. Learn more here.
About the College of Arts + Architecture:
The UNC Charlotte College of Arts + Architecture is a community of visual & performing artists and design professionals who work in both intellectual and material practices. The college is made up of five academic units: the School of Architecture, the Department of Art & Art History, the Department of Dance, the Department of Music and the Department of Theatre. Learn more here.
Our partners in the community:
- Anne Springs Close Greenway
- Arts & Science Council
- Carolina Raptor Center
- Catawba Lands Conservancy
- Charlotte Area Science Network
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- City of Charlotte
- Clean Air Carolina
- Community Alliance for Wildlife
- Green Teacher Network
- McColl Center for Art + Innovation
- Mecklenburg Audubon Society
- Mecklenburg County
- Nevins Center
- North Carolina Native Plant Society
- North Carolina Wildlife Federation
- Sustain Charlotte
- Tree Campus USA
- UNC Charlotte Botanical Garden
- UNC Charlotte Center for STEM Education
- UNC Charlotte Department of Geography and Earth Sciences
- UNC Charlotte Facilities Management
- Urban Ministry Center